Audio Player

Monday 30 September 2013

Day 30: The Final Day (Or, The explanation for this cavalcade of inanity)

Well.. It's the last day of September, and so it's the last day of the experiments...

I managed to not have any caffeine for a whole month...
That started off very bad, but very quickly became normal. Decaff Tea and Coffee are pretty good these days and the only difficult bit was remembering not to have any rum and coke while I was out, and being boozy... I managed it though...

I managed to not go on Facebook at all, despite the desperate pleading emails the website sent me, or the alluring notifications that popped up on my phone every so often. The trick is to get rid of any shortcut that leads to it. You find if you have to type the word in, it is rarely worth the effort. I've enjoyed the additional free-time this has given me, and although I will go back on there, I have no desperation. I won't be 'racing' back. I feel I have re-calibrated my relationship to a s lightly more healthy and balanced level and will no longer feel the urge to trawl through it endlessly, succeeding only in getting agitated by distant relatives unknowingly racist/sexist/homophobic 'shares'.

The third one will become obvious if you have looked over this Blog at any time over the past month. It was the most tricky one, and the one I was least confident in being able to achieve, and so I haven't mentioned it until now... (Although it really is terribly self-evident)
Yes I committed to write a blog a day. No matter what was happening, no matter how little I felt like it, in fact no matter how little I had to say. I decided I had to do it.

Why? Well, I had been neglecting it quite badly since I had a whole load of real life and could no longer trawl Twitter for days looking for Trends and Rumours and weird political bits and bobs.. It's like a complicated US TV show, miss it for a bit and it takes a while to pick up the rhythm, so I hadn't been putting anything on here at all...

Also because of that real life stuff, I wanted to do deep and meaningful writing. But A blog simply isn't the place for that, by forcing myself to write every day It meant I had to keep hopping from subject to subject and would have to be, essentially shallow... which is a good thing.. I needed to break out from my self imposed seriousness and embrace frivolity.. so apologies if this seems even more inane that usual, believe me.. it was supposed to...

Mainly I did it because I never thought I'd be able to. To just write and publish a short piece every day amongst all the other things that go on when you've started a new job that is ludicrously stressful, and having moved to a city on your own, seemed a ridiculous feat. I did it mainly because I thought I couldn't... But I did....

So what now?

Well I won't be bound into blogging every day. It was a good exercise and I've felt the benefit, but I've got different things to start this month...
I will Blog more often though.. I still have a few ideas that I didn't use, and I think I've successfully re-modeled what I want this Blog to be... just cheeky little observation pieces, fluff that I put out while I pour the blood and tears into the real writing...

So yes. First month of experimentation complete, and I'm happy with what I've done...

Role on October.

No comments:

Post a Comment